Certification Qualification Requirement
All candidate SCAMPI Lead Appraisers who have completed their training requirements but are awaiting their observation must successfully pass this exam before the observation as part of their qualification track.
Examination General Description
The examination is designed to demonstrate that candidate SCAMPI LAs have sufficient knowledge and competence in key areas to successfully lead SCAMPI Appraisals. Content areas of the examination are defined in the SCAMPI Lead Appraiser Body of Knowledge (SLA BOK), which reflects expert judgment, appraisal experience, and extensive Lead Appraiser community input and review. Content is defined in two dimensions, Competency Clusters and Knowledge Areas, with specific competencies and associated skills defined for the cluster/area pairs. The exam was developed in accordance with the testing guidelines set forth by the American Educational Research Association, the American Psychological Association, and the National Council on Measurement in Education as presented in Standards for Educational and Psychological Testing (1999).
The closed-book exam consists of 60 multiple choice questions that deal with SCAMPI planning and implementation. You must answer at least 48 of these questions correctly. You will be allotted 2 hours to complete the closed book exam.
The exam tests knowledge of the material in the content areas of the SCAMPI Lead Appraiser Body of Knowledge (SLA BOK). Additional recommended study materials are:
- Standard CMMI Appraisal Method for Process Improvement (SCAMPI) Version 1.3a: Method Definition Document for SCAMPI A, B, and C
- CMMI: Guidelines for Process Integration and Product Improvement
The exam fee is $250. To register for the exam, follow these steps:
- Go to the CMMI Institute testing services portal.
- If applicable, follow the instructions for new users.
- After logging in, click “Register for Exam” at the top of the page.
- On the “Exam Registration” page, select the “SCAMPI Lead Appraiser Certification Exam” and click the “Buy Now” button. Clicking “Buy Now” does not obligate you to purchase the exam.
- On the “Select Testing Center” page, use the drop-down menus at the top of the page to tailor the search for a testing center by country, state, zip code, etc.
- On the “Date and Time Selection” page, schedule a testing session by selecting a date and starting time.
- After scheduling the test session and acknowledging that you have read and understood the information that appears in the text box, click the blue “Select” button.
- On the “Shopping Cart” page, if everything appears correct, click the blue “Check Out” button.
- On the “Checkout” page, provide the appropriate billing and payment information, and click the blue “Submit” button. After you click the Submit button, the credit card charge will be processed.
- After the exam has been purchased, you will receive an email that confirms the purchase and provides important information about the testing session, including a candidate authorization code that you will need in order to take the exam.
Applicants who do not pass the exam must wait 48 hours before retaking it. The exam may be retaken a maximum of three times within one year after an applicant’s first attempt. If an applicant has not passed the exam after four attempts, he/she must wait one year before scheduling another retake.
A retake exam costs $250 and can be scheduled using the instructions found in the Exam Registration section above.
A refund is available to applicants who need to cancel or reschedule their exam if they do so at least 72 hours prior to the scheduled exam time. No refund is available if cancellation occurs within 72 hours prior to the scheduled exam time.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any exam-related questions.